WEST ROANE COUNTY VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT DEPENDS ON YOUR DONATIONS.
Handmade Wooden Donations Box in the Shape of a Fire Truck
Made for WRCVFD Open House 2007 by Volunteer Tom van Dalen
Click to zoom (68kb).
HOW WE ARE FUNDED
- West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department (WRCVFD) is a volunteer organization, whose main goal is to serve the Community.
WRCVFD relies on grants and donations. Every donation can make a big difference.
- WRCVFD is a nonprofit organization dedicated to fire and emergency protection and prevention in West Roane County. Donations to WRCVFD are tax-exempt under IRS Section 501(c)(3). No members of WRCVFD receive payment for their service.
- Note: WRCVFD does not go door to door nor do telephone solicitations. If anyone you do not know claims to represent us and comes to your door or calls you asking for a donation, please ask them to leave and contact us.
New Ways to Donate
There are new ways to donate to WRCVFD.
West Roane VFD will receive our first quarterly donation check from Kroger in December, 2014. So far the donation averages $25.06 per signed-up family per month. Thank you, Kroger!
Kroger shoppers may set West Roane County Volunteer Fire as their designated charity to receive funds from Kroger's Community Rewards® program. Follow the directions below to sign up. After that, you shop as usual at Kroger's, swiping your card.
TO USE THE KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS PROGRAM:
- Register online at krogercommunityrewards.com.
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up.
- If you do not yet have a Kroger Plus card, get one at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register.
- If you are a new online customer, you must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter West Roane County VFD's "NPO number" (42824) or name (West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department), select it from the resulting list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, your purchases will not count until after you register your card.
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Swipe your registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to your registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
Amazon shoppers may set West Roane County Volunteer Fire as their designated charity to receive 0.5% of their purchases of physical goods at smile.amazon.com. Note that only purchases made from smile.amazon.com will work. Amazon will donate the funds to WRCVFD in your name.
- Additional funds are needed for:
- Paying off outstanding debts (e.g., on fire truck).
- Matching funds for grants.
- Upgrade Station #2.
- New Community Center at Station #1.
- Hydrant painting project.
- Plateau-edge valley-view web cam project.
- More hydrants
- More lifesaving AED defibrillators
How Grants and Donations Are Used
- In September of 2003, WRCVFD was awarded a $63,000 grant from FEMA for which we must provide $7000 matching funds. This grant was used to purchase badly needed fire fighter safety equipment such as turnout gear, air packs that provide air supply to firefighters, smoke fans, larger diameter hose and nozzles for better water flow, and other very useful equipment.
- In August of 2005 West Roane County was awarded a $90,000.00 grant from FEMA (Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program) for the purchase of a fire engine. WRCVFD was able to purchase a 1992 International Pumper, 6-person cab, 1250 gallon per minute pump with a 1,000 gallon tank. This unit is like new with all applicable safety standards and specifications. Please see our apparatus section.
- A 2003 Chevrolet Tanker (T-3), was added to the department in 2004 to replace a badly worn and overworked older truck. This was new when bought and was recently paid in full. This truck chassis was purchased locally and the bed was installed in Kentucky. This truck was purchased entirely with department funds with no grants involved.
We would like to thank our local government leaders and our Congressman, Lincoln Davis, for their support in obtaining this grant.
- In 2010, West Roane County VFD purchased a new pumper truck using a FEMA grant and five per cent matching funds generously donated by supporters in the community.
- We are also receiving some equipment purchased with funds received by Roane County EMA from the Homeland Security Department.
- A generous private donation from an individual, together with many donations of materials and labor, resulted in the construction of Station #3 in Grande Vista Bay, completed in 2010. For more about these donors, see: Donors of Materials and Labor for Station #3.
- Volunteers led by Chief Charlie Redwine wrote a grant application for a new pumper truck in Spring 2008. Matching funds were then raised thanks to the efforts of community members. FEMA finally approved the funds in early 2010. The new pumper truck was delivered in Fall 2010.
- In 2010, about 28.9% of our non-grant funding, over one fourth, came from Roane County.
- The remainder of our non-grant funding is through private donations.
WRCVFD is a United Way Partner Agency of Roane County United Way, to whom we are especially grateful. Thank you, United Way!
In 2010, help from United Way amounted to about 8.3% of our non-grant budgets. This means about 42% of our non-grant funding must come from donations from the folks we serve, our friends and supporters.
Many Thanks to Local Supporters
- We have always been blessed with great support from both local businesses and residents. Without this support, WRCVFD would not be here today.
- Some of our supporters are:
- Glenn and Peggy Hill (land for Station #1)
- Roger Daniels Trucking (donated many truckloads of rock and more)
- Scandlyn Lumber Company (discounted prices for building material and personal support from John and Beth Sublett)
- Ideal Plumbing (discounted prices and donated material)
- McCreay NAPA Auto Parts (discounted prices and donated parts)
- Hardees of Rockwood (discounted and donated food and drinks)
- Rocky Top Markets (donated food and drinks)
- Trew's Repair Service (repair services and other)
- Morgan County Motors (discounted price on truck)
- Peggy Ann Truck Repair (discounted repair and wrecker service)
- Roy Majors (grading at Station #2)
- Mc Cullen family (land for Station #2)
- Loves Welding (donated and discounted welding services)
- Stephen Koren (GPS unit for marking Medical Helicopter Landing Zones, etc.)
- Roane County Highway Department (grading and paving work)
- Rockwood Fire Department (starting department, continued support, and mutual aid
- MidTown Volunteer Fire Department (mutual aid response on many calls)
- RoaneTNHistory.org (donated computer services)
- EagleRidge Technologies, Inc. (donated web hosting services)
- Patita Web Designs (donated computer services)
- Many others to numerous to mention
- MOST IMPORTANT -- The CITIZENS of the FIFTH DISTRICT and SURROUNDING AREA (outstanding responses to our requests for donation and support)
- We hope that each of you will continue to support WRCFVD as we continue to grow.
- Remember It Is Your Fire Department
MAKE A DONATION
- Donate online using PayPal:
You do not have to set up a PayPal account.
Just click on the Donate button at the top of the page.
Mail your Donation
- You can send donations by mail to:
West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department
1303 Pumphouse Road
P.O. Box 417
Rockwood, TN 37854
To better help us serve you, if you can, download and print this mail-in donation form to send in with your check: Mail-in Donation Form in PDF format (85kb) -
Get Adobe Reader