Welcome to West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department!
Chad Goodman Named Firefighter of the Year
WRCVFD held our annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner on December 16, 2014. Mrs. John McNeely received an award for sewing patches on wonder uniform shirts, Chad Goodman was named Firefighter of the Year for 2014, and Santa made an appearance for the children. A good time was had by all.
New Ways to Donate
There are new ways to donate to WRCVFD.
Kroger shoppers may set West Roane County Volunteer Fire as their designated charity to receive funds from Kroger's Community Rewards® program. Sign in or create an account at https://www.kroger.com/communityrewards. Then designate West Roane County Volunteer Fire as your charity at https://www.kroger.com/account/communityrewards/enroll. After that, you shop as usual at Kroger's, swiping your card. For more detailed sign-up directions, see: Donations.
Amazon shoppers may set West Roane County Volunteer Fire as their designated charity to receive 0.5% of their purchases of physical goods at smile.amazon.com. Note that only purchases made from smile.amazon.com will work. Amazon will donate the funds to WRCVFD in your name.
Change Your Smoke and CO Alarm Batteries When You Change Your Clocks
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to replace the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms when they change their clocks for Daylight Saving Time. Fresh batteries allow smoke and CO alarms to do their jobs saving lives by alerting families of a fire or a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide in their homes.
CPSC estimates there was a yearly average of 386,300 residential fires resulting in nearly 2,400 deaths between 2006 and 2008.
Two-thirds of fire deaths occur in homes where there are no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. That is why it is important to replace batteries at least once every year and to test your alarms every month to make sure they work. CPSC recommends consumers have smoke alarms on every level of their home, outside bedrooms and inside each bedroom.
CPSC estimates there was an annual average of 183 unintentional non-fire CO poisoning deaths associated with consumer products between 2006 and 2008. CO is called the "invisible killer," because it is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. Because of this, people may not know they are being poisoned. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fuel in various products, including furnaces, portable generators, fireplaces, cars and charcoal grills.
That is why it is important to have working CO alarms in the home, on each level and outside each sleeping area.
Yard 'Sale' Success
West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department hosted its annual "elegant junk" yard 'sale' at Station 1 on Pumphouse Road near Rockwood on May 16 and 17 (Friday and Saturday) from 7:00 AM Friday round the clock to 2:00 PM Saturday.
Supporters donated a total of $3144.75. Many thanks to everyone who volunteered or donated.
Good News! West Roane ISO Rating Improves Again
March 12, 2014: Fire Chief Charlie Redwine is pleased to announce the results from ISO's November 2013 inspection.
WRCVFD's classification has improved from a 6/9 to a class 5/8b. I would like to thank those who worked so hard in getting our department ready for this inspection. As with any fire department and community it is a big deal for us. Hats off to those who assisted. A copy of the Score Summary is available for review at Station One.
To learn more about West Roane and ISO, see: ISO Rating.
Leonard (Kip) Fuller Named 2013 FireFighter of the Year
Chief Redwine wrote,
Volunteer Kip Fuller was awarded firefighter of the year because of his relentless dedication to the department which involved attending station work sessions, training events, and making almost every emergency response our department had this year. We need more like him. See also: Firefighter of the Year.
Every year in the United States, about 3,000 people die in home fires. Most of these deaths occurred in homes that didnít have a working smoke alarm.
The United States Fire Administrationís Install. Inspect. Protect. Campaign is aimed at encouraging Americans to practice fire safety by 1) installing and maintaining smoke alarms and residential fire sprinklers, which can help save the lives of residents and fire fighters, 2) practicing fire escape plans, and 3) performing a home safety walk-through to remove fire hazards from the home. Install. Inspect. Protect. also recognizes firefighters and stresses the fact that the children of firefighters want their fathers and mothers to come home safely.
When both smoke alarms and fire sprinklers are present in a home, the risk of dying in a fire is reduced by 82 percent, when compared to a residence without either. According to the National Fire Protection Association, between 2003-2006 almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
The USFA offers a few helpful tips on smoke alarms and sprinklers:
- Place properly installed and maintained smoke alarms both inside and outside of sleeping areas and on every level of your home.
- Get smoke alarms that can sound fast. The U.S. Fire Administration recommends that every home and place where people sleep be equipped with both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms or dual sensor smoke alarms, which contain both ionization and photoelectric smoke sensors.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and change alkaline batteries at least once every year, or as instructed. You can use a date you already know, like your birthday or when you change your clocks as a reminder.
- If possible, install residential fire sprinklers in your home.
- Avoid painting or covering the fire sprinkler, because that will affect the sensitivity to heat.