Consumer Safety Links
RELATED LINKS - CONSUMER SAFETY:
- Tennessee Charity Information - From the Tennessee Division of Charitable Solicitations and Gaming. Find out the registration status and look up financial reports of Tennessee charities, or by calling 615-741-2555.
- GuideStar.org - Look up charities and their financial records. Be informed before you donate
- Charity Navigator - Look up large ($500,000+/year) charities and their financial ratings. Be informed before you donate
- GiveWell.net - Look up charities and their financial ratings. Be informed before you donate
- 990 Finder - Look up charities and their financial records. Be informed before you donate. From FoundationCenter.org
- IRS Exempt Organizations Select Check - Search federal list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.
- IRS Suspensions Pursuant to Code Section 501(p) -
A list of organizations designated as terrorist organizations, contributions to which are disallowed.
- State of Tennessee Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline -
Toll-free hotline for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse of government funds and property: 1-800-232-5454
- Consumer Complaints -
Consumers are encouraged to file complaints with Consumer Affairs when they feel they have been the victim on an unfair or deceptive business practice. -- Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance
- Complaints Board -
Made by the people for the people. Search by company or name for complaints against them, or post your own complaint. Not a government site
- FBI: Internet Crime Complaint Center - File a complaint.
IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the person who believes they were defrauded or from a third party to the complainant.
- ConsumerAffairs.com - File a complaint.
- Negative Cashback from Bing Cashback - As of November 2009: The Bing search engine allegedly leaves 3-month cookies on your computer that cause prices to be raised for you, even markedly raised, when you visit many other online stores. Before shopping online, make sure you close all browser windows showing Bing.com, then clear your cookies.
- Broadband Service Inventory: Roane County, Tennessee (PDF) - Detailed map of broadband availability in Roane County, TN. From ConnectedTN.org
- ICSI Analyzer - Analyze and debug your Internet connection. Free from the University of California at Berkeley
- Glasnost - Find out if your ISP is throttling your Internet service - a free online tool from the Max Planck Institute. Requires Java
- PingTest.net - Test the latency and quality of your Internt connection. Free
- Internet Speed Tests at Toast.net - Test the speed of your Internet connection. Free
- ISPGeeks.com - Free broadband speed tests
- PhishBucket.org -
Nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting job seekers from fraudulent job offers. Check suspicious offers and more
- Top 10 Work-at-Home Jobs - Excellent article with good links. From the Boston Globe newspaper
- HealthCare.gov -
Find out which private insurance plans, public programs and community services are available to you. A federal site
- Stopping Unsolicited Mail, Phone Calls, and Email -
Cut down on the number of unsolicited mailings, calls, and emails you receive by learning where to go to Free from ftc.gov.
just say no.
- Kill the Calls -
Resource for consumers who are fed up with the aggravating calls they receive from telemarketers, debt collectors, and political recordings. The intent is to help you with the the information you need to try and stop these telemarketing calls once and for all.
- DoNotCall.gov - National Do Not Call Registry. Remove your phone numbers from telemarketing lists. Or call the registry’s toll-free number (1-888-382-1222). Free
- HealthyStuff.org - Searchable database of products, including toys, and the toxic chemicals in them.
- Recalls.gov - Searchable database of United States government recalls.
Obtain the latest recall information, report a dangerous product, or learn important safety tips.
- ToySafetyTips.org - List of current potentially hazardous toys.
- Household Products Database - Searchable database of home, outdoor, pet, office, and other household products and their toxicity.
- Environmental Working Group Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database - Searchable database of hair care, skin care, face care, and other products and their toxicity. Not just cosmetics.
- SaferProducts.gov - Report an unsafe product. Search for recalls, products, and complaints. Free product safety database.
- UL Online Certifications Directory - Look up a product's UL certification status
- State of Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data - Look up real estate assessments in Tennessee, including in Roane County. Free. Tip: If your search returns no data, try searching with fewer fields. You may even need to just search by county, map, and parcel,
Soil test a smart way to prepare for spring planting - Tennessean aRticle on soil testing, including directions for taking a soil sample.
Enclose a check for $7 made out to the University of Tennessee and send it or deliver it to the Soil, Plant and Pest Center, 5201 Marchant Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.
- Tennessee Homework Hotline -
Homework Hotline offers free tutoring by phone to K-12 Tennessee students in math, science, language arts, social studies, and reading. Call 615-298-6636 or 1-888-868-5777.
- Free Practice SAT Test and Questions - Free from the College Board
- National Student Loan Data System for Students - A free service from the United States Department of Education. Look up your stident loan indebtedness and loan and grant account information
- IBRInfo.org - Independent information about new federal student loan and forgiveness programs, including income-based repayment
- Debt by Degrees -
Which Colleges Help Poor Students Most? Look up education statistics and colleges by student outcomes, student loans, wages, and more.
- DTV.gov - How to upgrade your TV set to digital and how to find broadcast digital stations. Or, call the government hotline at 1-888-CALLFCC (1-888-225-5322)
- Veterans Crisis Line -
Toll-free and on-line resource staffed by trained Department of Veterans Affairs personnel, who can confidentially assist soldiers, veterans, families and friends toward local help and resources…. Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available.
- The Mission Continues -
Awards community service fellowships to post-9/11 veterans, empowering them to transform their own lives by serving others and directly impacting their communities.
- NYTimes: A Little-Known Benefit for Aging Veterans -
The Aid and Attendance and Housebound Improved Pension benefit...which can cover the costs of caregivers…assisted living, or a nursing home...up to $2,019 monthly for a veteran and spouse, and up to $1,094 for the widow of a veteran.
- Veterans' Compensation - Information from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs on Compensation. Every veteran who reaches age 65 is considered 100% disabled and may be eligible for a basic pension of over $16,000 per year.
- VeteranAid.org - Information on the Aid and Attendance and Housebound Improved Pension benefit (A&A) for older vets. Free.
- Tennessee State Veteran's Burial Pre-Registration -
Online pre-registration form allowing veterans and their families to get pre-approval for burial in one of Tennessee’s veterans cemeteries.
- Homeless Female Veterans and Veterans with Families program - For more information, call this Volunteers of America program at (865) 524-3926 ext. 235.
- Supportive Services for Veteran Families program - For more information, call this Volunteers of America program at (865) 951-0682.
Volunteers of America is a nonprofit that provides services not only to veterans, but also to the homeless, at-risk youth, and people returning to civilian life after serving time in prison, among other groups.
Disclaimer: Note that we do not operate the sites listed and can take no responsibility for their content. We will remove any link found to be unacceptable.
WRCVFD receives no remuneration or consideration from the above-listed websites.